SEPT 15, 2022
Everyone’s skin feels different to the touch. Sometimes skin texture can be dry and rough; other times, it can be oily and supple. (Read more about skin texture types). Overall, skin texture can be a good indicator of skin health and hydration. Here’s how you can improve skin health to improve skin texture.
How can you improve skin texture?
How can I smooth out my skin texture?
- Gut health
#1 How diet affects skin texture
- Wild-caught fatty fish- Estrogen promotes collagen and elastin production in the skin; this maintains skin barrier and elasticity. Fish such as salmon stimulate estrogen and, in turn, collagen and elastin!
- Chia seeds- Chia seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids promote skin barrier function to maintain skin hydration.
- Avocados- Avocados have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. These properties prevent oxidative damage to the skin barrier, promote skin barrier function, and maintain skin hydration.
- Leafy greens- Leafy greens are high in vitamin C and promote the skin’s natural collagen production. This strengthens the skin barrier and enhances skin hydration.1
#2 How gut health affects skin texture
- Cut out processed foods- Processed foods are easily broken down into sugars. High sugar concentrations cause the good bacteria in your gut to lose water via osmosis. These dehydrated bacteria cannot divide or grow, creating an environment ripe for dysbiosis.
- Chew your food- Digestion starts in the mouth. Make sure you chew your food a couple dozen times before swallowing and sending it to the rest of your digestive tract. Since digestion and gut health are closely tied, practices that improve your digestion can, in turn, improve gut health and influence skin health.
- Take probiotic supplements or eat probiotic foods- Taking probiotics or probiotic foods such as kimchi, tempeh, and yogurt seed your gut with good bacteria and strengthen your microbiome.
- Stay hydrated- Water is key to smooth digestion and good gut health, not to mention skin hydration. It’s recommended that you drink at least 8 cups of water per day.3
#3 How sleep affects skin texture
A consistent sleep schedule can go a long way to promote skin barrier function, reduce inflammation and promote healthier and smoother skin.4
#4 How skin care affects skin texture
What skincare ingredients help improve skin texture?
You can also improve skin hydration by strengthening your skin barrier with collagen. Collagen is the most critical structural protein for skin, forming fibrous networks that maintain the skin barrier. Topical application of small molecules, such as peptides, can stimulate collagen production; this strengthens the skin barrier and keeps the skin hydrated. (Read more about the benefits of peptides for skin!) Be wary of products that contain collagen, as collagen is a large protein that is often unable to penetrate the skin barrier. Rather, focus on ingredients that can penetrate the skin’s layers and will promote natural collagen production, such as OneSkin’s OS-01 peptide.
Does sunscreen help improve skin texture?
Does OneSkin help improve skin texture?
OS-01 FACE is clinically proven to improve skin smoothness and overall appearance in 100% of users. It’s also clinically proven to reduce the appearance of wrinkles in 87% of users. OS-01 BODY has been scientifically proven to increase skin’s epidermal thickness and minimize the appearance of dry skin.
- Smooth skin is a sign of healthy skin. Maintaining skin hydration, strength, and elasticity is a great way to avoid dehydrated, wrinkled skin and promote smooth, supple skin!
- A healthy diet, healthy gut microbiome, good sleep schedule, and consistent skin care regime can all promote a hydrated and smooth skin texture.
- To cosmetically improve skin texture, look for products that gently promote cell turnover, such as niacinamide and hyaluronic acid. These products remove dead skin cells to chemically exfoliate the skin and promote skin cell turnover.
- Sunscreen is a highly effective way to prevent sun damage, and one of the most important products in skin care. Sunscreen can prevent the development of a rough skin texture from sun damage and slow the onset of wrinkles and other skin texture issues.
- OS-01 FACE is clinically proven to improve skin smoothness and overall appearance in 100% of users. It’s also clinically proven to reduce the appearance of wrinkles in 87% of users.