MAY 16, 2022
Peptides are much more than the latest skincare phenomenon, they’re the real deal! These tiny proteins are what make up the cells in your skin, hair, and nails. Much like how you can’t make a sandcastle without sand, you can’t build up your skin elasticity without peptides and proteins.Additionally, peptides are critical in regulating your biological processes and ensuring optimal cell function, which is why peptides should play an integral part of your current skincare regimen. Keep reading to learn the answers to the most commonly asked questions, such as “What is a peptide?” and “How can I incorporate peptides into my skincare regimen?”.
What are Peptides?Amino acids are the “building blocks” of the peptides and proteins in your body. Much smaller than proteins, peptides are short chains of these amino acids, connected together from end to end, folding together to create the shape of a protein. 1
Peptides used in skin care products come in three forms: 1
- Carrier peptides to deliver healing factors.
- Signal peptides to trigger a biological response.
- Neurotransmitter peptides to regulate muscle contraction, including inducing muscle relaxation.
The true power of a peptide, however, stems from its size. Because it’s much smaller than a protein, peptides can penetrate into areas that larger proteins can’t reach. Where other skincare ingredients fail due to their limitations in size, tiny — but mighty — peptides succeed.
How should peptides be used as part of your skincare routine?
Oral Peptide Supplements
- Fish and shellfish
- Beans and lentils
- Hemp seeds
- Increased skin hydration after 8 weeks
- Enhanced collagen density in the skin after 4 weeks
- Improvements remained even after 12 weeks of using peptide supplements
Fortunately, peptides are also effective when used in topicals. Topical peptide supplements are an ideal way to deliver peptides straight to the areas you need them the most.
Topical Peptide Supplements
How often should you use topical peptides?
Do topical peptides pair well with other ingredients used in your skincare regimen?
What should you avoid using peptides with?
How can you determine which peptide product is best?
Penetration studies, in particular, are key studies that should be conducted on a peptide ingredient. These studies offer an evidence-based peek at how well a topical ingredient will travel through the skin’s layers, ultimately determining how effective a peptide can be when applied topically. 7.
OneSkin is one of a select few companies that use penetration studies to ensure product efficacy. We have performed extensive research to confirm the ability of our proprietary peptide, OS-01, to penetrate down to the dermal layer of skin. Additionally, our scientists have developed a body of data supporting OS-01’s ability to improve collagen, hyaluronic acid, and elastin production, increase the skin’s epidermal thickness, and improve skin’s barrier function. The OS-01 peptide is ideal for topical application due to its superior penetration capabilities and its positive and proven impacts on healthy skin function. If you’re looking for a peptide-product with strong scientific credibility, OneSkin’s OS-01 Topical Supplements are an ideal option.
- Peptides are short chains of amino acids ( the “building blocks” of the proteins in your body) connected together from end to end.
- A peptide’s small size enables it to penetrate deep into skin tissues, effecting change that can lead to an improved skin barrier, skin damage repair, improved skin texture, and improved skin elasticity.
- Oral peptides can be obtained either through your diet or through oral peptide supplements. However, oral peptides, including collagen, are easily broken down by digestive acids and not delivered locally, therefore topical peptide-containing supplements offer a superior delivery method for skin health improvements.
- Not all peptide-products are made equal. Before using a peptide-containing product, it’s important to confirm the peptide’s scientific credibility and penetration capabilities.
- OneSkin’s line of Topical Supplements have been scientifically tested and validated, including through extensive penetration studies, confirming the OS-01 peptide’s ability to reach the dermal layer of skin.