MARCH 23, 2022
When we’re young, building a skin care routine is relatively simple: a face wash, moisturizer and sunscreen will do the trick. But as we grow older and develop visible signs of aging skin, choosing from the overwhelming array of mature skin care products like anti-aging creams, serums, and treatments often feels like an impossible task. What can we trust to actually work?It’s easy to get lost in new trends like 10-step skincare routines, but try to look past marketing and prioritize your skin’s health above all else. As our largest organ and first line of defense against environmental aggressors, our skin can have an enormous impact on our overall body health. A truly effective product should support your skin’s health first and improve the way it looks as a result. That’s where OneSkin comes in.
Our Topical Supplements are powered by OS-01: the first peptide scientifically proven to reduce skin’s biological age at the molecular level. So skin doesn’t just look younger, it actually functions like younger skin. To understand how our OS-01 Topical Supplements are different from standard anti-aging products, let’s take a closer look at why skin ages in the first place.
Understanding Biological Skin Aging
Unlike chronological age, biological age is malleable and can be increased or decreased based on your daily habits. For example, if you regularly wear SPF, your skin is likely biologically younger than it would be if you experienced a lot of unprotected sun damage.
So how does the OS-01 peptide reduce our skin’s biological age? By targeting a main driver of aging: cellular senescence. Read on to find out just how much the OS-01 peptide impacts cellular senescence and what that means for its effects on mature and aging skin.
How OS-01 Works: Reducing Senescent Burden in Skin
By reducing the number of senescent cells in the skin, senomorphic compounds like our proprietary OS-01 peptide have the potential to slow down and even reverse biological skin aging.
Just how much can the OS-01 peptide reduce senescent burden in the skin? Our scientists ran an experiment to answer that exact question. Using beta-galactosidase, an enzyme that selectively stains senescent cells blue, we found that OS-01 reduced senescent cells by up to 50% in in vitro fibroblast cultures from patient derived samples.
What OS-01 Does For Mature Skin?
To analyze OS-01’s effects on the skin, our R&D team utilized skin cells from a variety of donors of different ages, ethnicities, and skin types to grow human skin models. By first exposing these skin models to the OS-01 peptide, then utilizing quantitative and qualitative analysis techniques, our researchers measured the effects of OS-01.
In tests, the OS-01 peptide reliably and effectively improved markers of skin health and aging including:
- Improving cellular structure within the skin
- Increasing skin’s epidermal thickness
- Reducing skin’s biological age, based on DNA markers
OS-01 Increases Epidermal Thickness & Improves Cellular Structure*
- Epidermal thickness increased by 28%
- Cellular structure became more defined
- Connectivity improved
OS-01 Reduces Skin’s Biological Age*
To understand whether OS-01 actually helps our skin function like younger skin, our R&D team measured its effects with MolClock, the first molecular clock capable of measuring skin’s biological age using DNA markers of skin aging.
In our test, the biological age of our lab-grown ex vivo human skin model started at 70.83 years old. Astoundingly, after only 5 days of exposure to the OS-01 peptide, the skin’s age decreased to just 68.23 years, meaning that the OS-01 peptide reduced the skin’s biological age by 2.5 years in just 5 days!
OS-01 Improves Elasticity, Radiance, Firmness, and Wrinkles
The next step was to take the OS-01 peptide out of the lab and put it to the test on real people. For this, we relied on a third-party clinical research organization to evaluate the efficacy of OS-01 FACE, OneSkin’s daily facial Topical Supplement powered by the OS-01 peptide.
In a 12-week clinical study, 22 participants with an average age of 59.5 years experienced a significant improvement in skin elasticity and barrier function (+15%) from using OS-01 FACE, correlating with the epidermal thickening we observed in the lab.
Additionally, study participants observed:
- Fewer visible wrinkles & fine lines
- Firmer, smoother skin
- Improved radiance & fewer visible pores
- Better overall skin appearance
Putting it all together
- OneSkin’s proprietary peptide, OS-01, is the first peptide proven to reduce skin’s biological age*, making it a breakthrough age-reversing therapy for mature skin.
- The OS-01 peptide reduces senescent burden*–one of the key cellular markers of skin aging.
- The OS-01 peptide increases epidermal thickness*, improving skin strength and visible signs of aging like crepiness, wrinkles and skin fragility.
- By strengthening the skin barrier, the OS-01 peptide keeps your body protected from environmental stressors, providing a potential improvement in overall health.
- With our Topical Supplements, you don’t need a 10-step skincare routine. Just two daily moisturizers–one for body and one for face–are all you need to boost the health of your mature skin.