Disruptive innovation requires unwavering ambition, which can be both inspiring and uncomfortable. Ambition means risk; it means growth; it means vulnerability...and it is something that is fundamental to OneSkin's origin story.
Mar 10, 2022
OneSkin’s origins began in a doctorate lab in Brazil, where our founding team of four female scientists met as they were completing their PhDs. During this time, they bonded over their concern for a stark problem within our aging society: They found the concept of aging to be rife with assumptions of disease, of suffering, and of unmet potential. Troubled by the reality that age-related disease restricts times of good health and happiness, they set out to alleviate age-related suffering by developing technologies that can reverse the aging process; and they decided to start with the body’s largest organ – the skin. At the time, combating skin aging was a huge gap in the longevity industry, and to this day, OneSkin is one of the only longevity companies focused on skin aging. Our founders knew that discovering compounds that could effectively slow the rate of skin aging and extend skin’s health had the potential to promote overall body health and round out many longevity practices to complement personalized medicine and optimize human living.
Why skin? Skin is one of the most responsive and protective organs in our body. To date, skin has been primarily targeted for aesthetic rejuvenation, justifying its popularity in cosmetic, beauty, and pharmaceutical markets. However, outside of popular aesthetic trends, skin health is an underrated functional and visual tool that holds many implications and indications into overall health.
As the largest organ in the human body, our skin serves three key functions:
- Protection - the primary function of skin is to serve as a natural barrier to protect from water loss and external stressors like infection and UV radiation.
- Regulation - skin maintains homeostasis by regulating body temperature, collagen protein synthesis, and vitamin production.
- Sensation - skin contains an extensive network of nerve cells that detect and relay changes in the environment.
With the “science of longevity” sector gaining rapid momentum in the public sphere, we are discovering that skin is not only a reliable indicator of overall health, but a major contributor to the prevention or development of age-related diseases.
Our mission at OneSkin is to create technologies powerful enough to not only disrupt the cosmetic and skincare markets, but also the biohacking and longevity markets. Our mission is what drives us forward and steers our core activities:
- Product Innovation: Oneskin uses a cutting edge and proprietary R&D platform to develop products that target the root cause of aging and optimize skin health at the molecular level. We use technology based on longevity science to deliver results beyond aesthetics.
- Scientific Integrity: OneSkin originally started as a third-party lab validating the efficacy of skincare products. Through this process, we found there was a massive gap in the products that promote both healthy aging and effective skin rejuvenation. OneSkin is the direct result of data-driven product development to stand out in a flooded industry. We evolve with the fast pace of biotechnology to bring a new paradigm to skincare – one that is rooted in the scientific process.
- Consumer Empathy: The current state of anti-aging treatments is unsettling. At one end of the spectrum are harsh, and (often) invasive solutions like Botox, lasers, acids, and retinoids. These solutions temporarily alleviate surface-level symptoms of aging but can ironically accelerate skin aging in the long-term. On the other end are “clean” or natural products that are safe but often ineffective. OneSkin wants to assure you: “Beauty” does not have to be painful or complicated; neither does aging. We believe what we put on our skin should be safe, effective, and contribute to maximizing our human potential.
Thanks to our founders, science is in our DNA and it will serve as our core differentiator as we pioneer a new paradigm in the way we approach aging and comprehensive solutions to extending human health.
MEET ONESKIN’S LEADERSHIP TEAM
01Carolina Reis Oliveira, PhD; Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
The ability to translate science into our daily routines – allowing data-driven learnings from the lab to inform the development of accessible products that can reach millions – is a superpower. Carolina developed this skill while studying stem cell research during her PhD. With a background in immunology, she is inspired by how cells function alone or as part of a tissue in the contexts of health and disease. Founding OneSkin made it clearer than ever that aging is malleable, and that our quality of life as we age is an immediate result of lifestyle choices and habits, including the products that we choose to use on a daily basis. Carolina has set out to turn her dreams of improving the human condition to reality, positioning her to be a renegade within the longevity space.
02 Alessandra Zonari, PhD; Co-Founder and Chief Scientific Officer (CSO)
Alessandra believes that stem cells and aging are two sides of the same coin. Skin research was the perfect field to merge her interests and training in order to create a milestone in translational research, and to be a trailblazer for the future of cosmetics and longevity. Leading the scientific pursuits of OneSkin, from bench to bedside, Alessandra serves as an integral pillar in developing disruptive yet equitable solutions to aging.
03 Mariana Boroni, PhD; Co-Founder and Head of Bioinformatics
Mariana is a data-wrangler and loves to play with massive amounts of information. As OneSkin’s head bioinformatician, she combined the power of code with the reliability of science to create a powerful tool to measure biological skin age, MolClock, regularly used at OneSkin to validate product discovery and development. Her work is core to OneSkin’s R&D platform and it’s what allows OneSkin to deliver data-backed results you can trust.
04 Juliana Carvalho, PhD; Co-Founder
Juliana recognizes the importance of mentoring the next generation of diverse scientists. As an expert in biochemistry, immunology, and molecular biology, she is an advocate for the notion that science is a team effort, and knowledge from discoveries should be shared for collective advancement and benefit.